Heat wave continues. more anchoring than sailing


Ready to leave the mooring on another blistering hot few days. It has been hitting over 30C for several days, with wonderful strong sun. I set out for two nights, which gives me one full day without the long drive to and from Poole. Not a great amount of sailing as there hasn’t been much wind. I headed out into Studland Bay twice, but spent most of the time anchored in the shallows off Redhorn Quay. Generally had it to myself, but one deep keeled yacht mistook my channel for the main through route. He ended up stuck in the mud at the height of the tide. As it went out he heeled over by 30 degrees or more. Around 11:00 at night the Swanage Lifeboat came out to see if he was OK, but they couldn’t get close enough to do anything for him. I was on the bottom myself, but I had planned to be. He probably won’t be able to float off for two or three days. Even a big fishing boat tried to pull him off but couldn’t.

The days were so hot that the water became really pleasant for swimming.

On Monday morning it was so warm at 7:00am that I got out my old Lidl’s snorkel and fins and went snorkeling off the boat. Its not the Great Barrier Reef. Not much to see apart from mud and crabs, but it was fun to do.

For proper exercise, I went for a run along the seaward beach, which is pure sand for miles. Running through the edge of the water is just great fun.

Everyone seemed to be enjoying the sun and heat…


We are away now for a few days, so I hope the weather either holds or returns for when I can get back

More summer sailing

My mast is fixed. Swallow Yachts made an excellent job of it in just a week, even though it meant two round trips to Cardigan to deliver and collect it. They have tidied up the whole base of the mast, including filleting in the house neck strip I bodged on some years ago.

Then I sailed round the Harbour and anchored off Jerry’s Point in a flat calm for the night. Listened to nightjars churring, which is a strange sound in the dark.

It was another pair of glorious days, and I spent much of them rowing, walking and even swimming. The main beaches facing the sea are beautiful and fairly busy. The small beaches facing into the Harbour are absolutely stunning, and you can usually have them to yourself. You also have a fascinating view up to all the shipping and boasts up at the Harbour entrance.

The best swimming place by far is the lake in the middle of Studland peninsula called the little sea. There must be over a thousand holiday makers within quarter of a mile of it, but I have never seen anyone else there. There are still places you can get to yourself.


The towel in the tree is essential for finding your way back.

More hot weather forecast so I hope to get down again soon.

Hot weather sailing at last 

Events and weather have prevented any sailing so far, after launch in April, but this week has been perfect. Had three nights on board, with the third being a bit stressful, with thunder and lightning roaring outside. I feel remarkably exposed, sitting in a little, anchored boat, with a tall, carbon fibre mast, in the middle of a thunderstorm, but I survived. 

I didn’t sail far, anchoring each night off the Studland Peninsula and hiking over that extraordinary heathland landscape. I heard cuckoos and nightjars, which made it feel high summer. In some boggy spots there were clumps of carnivorous sundew plants, which I have never noticed before. 

It was hot enough to swim at last and I went in several times, from little beaches in the Harbour… 

And glorious beaches on the seaward side… 

And even in the lake in the middle of the peninsula, which is one of my favourite spots. 

Hottest day of the year and I had most places to myself. I suppose that’s because there are no car parks anywhere near. 

The major downside of the trip was suddenly noticing a foot long split in the base of my mast.

I must have noticed it almost as it happened, as it is right in my life of sight and very obvious. Clearly caused by the wooden mast plug getting wet and swelling. I lowered all sail as soon as I saw it and thinking about it added somewhat to the disturbed, thundery night. 

I phoned Swallow Yachts and they can fix it. Fortunately my mast is still in two sections, as I never got round to gluing them together, so I can get the base section to Swallow Yachts on my roof rack. Took an hour to get it all down and stowed, back in the marina. I have had to leave Nellie Grace, my dinghy, behind as I couldn’t get her and the mast on the roof rack. Hope she is OK. Daisy G looks a little sad without her mast up. Long round trip to Cardigan tomorrow. 

Sail repairs 

When I was putting the sails back on the masts I noticed there were two tears in the edge of the mizzen sail, just behind the luff tape. They needed fixing, so I stuck some spinnaker repair tape on each side, and then stitched it all together using a sail makers palm and needles. Felt very much the old sea dog. Sales are more bent on and stowed on the boat, ready for launching. Just need to check the trailer bearings before we go. 

Launching time is only about six weeks away, so I’m getting on with preparations when it isn’t too cold. No painting needed in the cabin, and I have finished most that’s needed outside. Redoing the non slip paint will be a bit of a chore and the anti foul boot topping needs renewal. 

I’m trialing my recent little Studland beach seascape in the cabin. Just held up with blutac whilst I decide on her best location. 

The cabin is beginning to look quite home like again.