Monthly Archives: Sep 2018

Ballast tank self bailer reinstalled

Self bailer has been greased and skid back into place. Seems to fit well and all of the holes seem well filled. Just have to see how good the seal around the edge is now. It must have slowed down leakage, even if it hasn’t stopped it completely.

Advertisements

Self bailer repair

I’ve decided that replacing the seal in the self baler body would both be a horrible job, and probably unnecessary. I think the seal feels fairly good, the problem is the corroded slider. So I have sanded the slider until it is shiny, stuck plastic tape over the bottom and filled it with epoxy resin and a layer on fibreglass tape. I hope that will fill the holes and leave a very smooth outside, to bare against the seal. I will grease it thoroughly before I refit it. Then wait for next year to test it.

2018-09-28_12-35-19.jpg

Self baler corrosion

I fill my ballast tank using a reversed Elvstrom self bailer. This fills the tank well. Almost too well if I forget to close it when sailing. But it leaks, so that an emptied tank fills up, even when the bailer is shut. I assumed this was due to the edge seal been worn. But on inspection, I noticed that the main mobile part of the unit is badly corroded. You can see daylight through the holes. So much for stainless steel. There’s also a large, intentional hope in the unit, which seems bizarre. I’m going to try to reseal the unit with epoxy and fibreglass, stuck to the inside. I can only replace the whole fitting, not just the slider, and they are expensive. I think blocking the holes and then greasing the sliding sides might just do the job. Won’t know if it works until next year.

2018 season summary

22 nights on board. Not bad considering I was away for the whole of July. First skinny dip in May and last in September, just. More swimming in between than I have managed in any other year. Managed to get my all over tan deep enough that I didn’t need any sunscreen for the last half of summer. My kind of sailing season.

273nm sailed. Not a huge distance, but I don’t really like long distance sailing. It is either frightening or boring. There was at least one day where I stayed on the anchorage for two nights without sailing anywhere. I rowed, swam, ran on the beach and just lazed in the glorious sun and heat we had this year.

Damage to boat? Until the last day, just a crack in the rear cockpit deck. On the last night before I hauled her out, storm Bronagh managed to rip the bow roller off on her mooring. So that is a repair I wasn’t planning.

She is back in her shed now and I am already into repairs and general titivating.

Working on Nellie Grace

I hope to bring Daisy G back home the end of this week. Until then, I’m using the available space to do some essential repairs to Nellie Grace. The prime one is a new name board. Every boat needs a decent name board. I need a new one as I have reduced the height of the transom and cut the sculling notches into the transom itself. I originally added the riser to the transom because I had forgotten to cut the notches and didn’t think I would actually do much sculling anyway. This year I sculled all the time, so proper notches seemed to be in order. Cutting off the riser also cut off most of her name, but it allows the dinghy to fit more securely on the roof rack.

Packing up for the winter

Down to poole for the day to pack up Daisy G ready for lift out, probably late next week. She looks a bit bereft without her masts, sails and sprayhood. I’ve emptied out as much as possible, to make her light for talking. I’ve pumped out the ballast tank, so she floats high, but I suspect it will refill over the next week, as the self baler used to fill it is not a watertight fit. Engine left in for a service.

She looks a bit forlorn on her mooring.

Winter work starting already

Daisy G won’t come home for a week or two, but I have started winter work on her tender, Nellie Grace. I’ve replaced the aluminum tube axle in the stern wheel, which was unsurprisingly fairly bent. Her bottom has been well scuffed from being dragged over many a beach. The false keel had taken a hammering, but that’s what is there for. I am going to add an additional metal strap over the aft end of it. I have glued two sacrificial panels over the most scuffed areas. These need to be sanded and fared in a bit more. I will reinforce the back corners, which grind on the ground when I load her onto the roof rack. I have a few more modifications to make before I repaint her. And my new workshop Woodburning stove works a treat.