I launched Daisy Grace in mid April, but could do no more than that as the outboard wouldn’t start. Carburettor seized up, so I had to leave it with engineers. Everyday got afloat purposely during the short sunny spell in early May. But it was chilly when the rest wind blew straight off the sea. No skinny shipping yet, the water is freezing, but it was lovely to dial up the sun for a couple of days.
First damage of the season was my own fault. I sailed straight onto a mud bank with the engine locked down. When it tried to kick up it cracked the outboard bracket. No succulent damage to the hull, but I had to motor gently back to the mains for running repairs. Two steel brackets screwed to the corners make it quite firm. I think these will last for the season but a permanent fix will be needed eventually. These brackets will rust.
I spent most of the time around Brownsea Island as it offered the best shelter from the cold wind. Fascinating to see how much pottery waste there is all along the beaches and in the water. It’s a lovely Island.
Sails bent to their various spars. All look in good order, although the jib has had a twist in it for years, from being furled around the fore stay. These are all loaded on the boat and ready for launch. I just need to check the trailer and get the lighting board to work…
I’ve finished the last bit of anti fouling. All other jobs done, I hope. Just have to put Daisy Grace back together ready for launch on April.
Lots of jobs getting completed on Daisy Grace. I’ve cut some limber holes on either side of the stern deck. Water and filth tended to collect here. Now hopefully it will all drain into the scuppers.
I’ve replaced the two small cabin LED lights with a single, much brighter one. This is switched, so I can do away with the separate switch and all its wiring. Also renewed the conduiting, which was filthy and uncleanable.
GPS unit moved up higher, so all of my instruments are much more at eye level when sailing.
New outboard well blanking plate made and fitted, to replace the one that floated away in the summer. It is hinged and in two parts, so hopefully will allow the engine to cut in easily and won’t float away.
Apart from that, I have sanded all of the exposed wood back to bare wood, and started oiling it. Eight coats of Danish oil on the gunwhales, just seven more to go. Then the rest of the wood to oil before I start on paint.
I have stripped down Daisy G’s tender , Nellie Grace, cut down her transom , added sacrificial parts in various worn places and completely repainted her. Now she is stored away in her old roost , up in the roof, for the winter.
I’ve finally fixed the nasty crack in the port side deck. Second repair I’ve made in this deck, it is just too thin.
First, mark the full extent of the cracks and cut out a rectangular area covering all of it, using the magical Bosch multi tool. I use this tool all the time.
Cut a plywood backing patch, about an inch larger all round than the hole. Two holes drilled through this fit a support string loop. This patch is epoxied to the underside of the deck, held in place with wedges through the loop.
When this is fully cured, the loop is removed and a second filling patch, the size of the hole, is epoxied down onto the backing patch. This fixes the hole and effectively doubles the thickness of the deck in this area. After sanding, it is ready for painting
I have ticked of two more winter jobs. Repositioned my compass onto the companionway hatch, where it will be more in my line of sight when I’m sailing.
Finished building a new lighting board, using a plank of wood and a short lighting board from the dinghy I sold. Hopefully this one won’t fall apart, or off…